After graduating with a BSc and BCompMed from the University of the Western Cape, she moved to China and completed a postgraduate certificate in Advanced Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Practice, following which she gained her MSc in Chinese Medicine in the United Kingdom.
Lynda has always been passionate about patient care and has worked in healthcare since 1991, having nursed in England and South Africa. She gained experience in both provincial and private hospitals, working in paediatric wards, surgical wards, and in the operating theatre, as well as working in general practice for several years. Throughout her training in Chinese medicine and acupuncture, she worked at the university’s natural medicine and community clinics and volunteered as an acupuncturist at a refugee healthcare centre.
In the United Kingdom Lynda completed her MSc and worked as an acupuncturist for a successful national clinic. She focused on fertility and general wellness treatment programs, amongst others, and gained experience in a pain clinic within a London NHS hospital. She also participated in the UK Northern College of Acupuncture practitioner observation visit scheme, providing guidance and mentorship to students of Chinese medicine.
Lynda returned home to South Africa to open her own practice and fosters a strong desire to see acupuncture integrated into state healthcare, striving to provide the benefits of cost effective treatment strategies to as much of the country’s population as possible. As part of this initiative she worked as a clinical supervisor at the University of the Western Cape, imparting her international experience to future doctors and was appointed an Associate Lecturer at the university.
Dr Thompson spends her spare time with her husband enjoying an active lifestyle, including camping, hiking, stand up paddling, adventure travel and music festivals. She is passionate about cultivating long term relationships with her patients in order to help them achieve a healthy, composed existence in the often unbalanced world in which we live.
- Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine, United Kingdom
- Board of Healthcare Funders
- Enrolled nurse
- BSc Complementary Health Sciences (Summa Cum Laude), University of the Western Cape, Cape Town
- BCompMed Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture (Summa Cum Laude), University of the Western Cape, Cape Town
- Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Practice, Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jinan, Shandong Provence, China
- MSc Chinese Medicine (Distinction), Middlesex University, London, United Kingdom (Dissertation: Current Trends in Acupuncture Utilisation)
Courses and special interests
- Enhanced fertility
- General wellness
- Pain Management
- Cosmetic acupuncture